Friday, July 2, 2010

DAY 20 Fri 2 July

Early wake up again this morning – and there was no point trying to make it back to sleep, so I decided to get up, and sate for a while reading a book, until getting a phonecall from Pal. He thought that after all, it was probably too early to go riding with Maryanne's horses in a group, so he kindly offered me the use of one of his horses for the ride. I immediately got into my riding gear and walked over to his place (unfortunately inflicting a blister on my heel thanks to my riding boots). Once there I had time for a glass of water before hopping onto one of his nice stallions. I haven't ridden that many stallions before, so it was looking to be an interesting experience already. I started riding towards the rondezvous point, and Pal caught up in no time at all on his very eager stallion, as we trotted most of the way towards the desert. Once in the desert the other riders hadn't yet turned up, so we headed up a hill to get some breeze and to wait for them to turn up. There was quite a haze, and although I could see over to the pyramids at Saqqara, there was no sight of the pyramids on the Giza Plateau.
We were joined by three others, Laura, her father and a groom, and we headed over towards Japanese Hill, where we were joined by another gentleman. Laura and I rode along chatting away for a bit, and she had just commented that this was one of the slowest rides she had been on with Pal. We had been lagging behind though, and not long after this we went to catch up with Pal. The pace certainly increased after this, and I got the chance to trot and canter through the desert, as we made our way to the sand quarry. Although I had been warned by Pal that there was a possiblity that the boy I was riding might try to take off, he showed no signs of it, instead we had nice controlled canter through the desert – that is the life!
Up in the quarry we were weaving in and out of areas where they had been digging, making our way back towards the pyramids at Abu Sir. In fact the weaving through there is actually reminiscent of trotting and cantering through the pine trees in Woodhill Forest, but with much better visibility.
All too soon it was over and we were back at the edge of the desert (all too soon being nearly 2 hours later – but it was such fun!), and making our way back home. Once back at Pal's with the horses unsaddled, I had a look at their horses (including a chestnut with flaxen mane and tail), and a lovely grey stallion with black mane and black points on his legs – talk about stunning – and his young son is probably going to have the same stunning colouration.
Pal then dropped me back at Maryanne's, where I had to singlehandedly give Demon his eye drops (and force the tablets he didn't want to eat down his throat – sometimes he will eat them, other times he won't). I got back to find that the grooms had taken five of the horses out for a ride – well I'm sure it would have been fun, it was great to get that chance to move faster through the desert. I then took the time to catch up on my diary, seeing as I didn't get the chance yesterday, and catch up on some lost sleep time.
After checking on the horses during the afternoon, I also had a look at the goats, donkeys and gamoosa, and decided to have a look and see how the kids were growing (they are kept seperately until they are big enough to watch out for big gamoosa hooves – she doesn't see the little ones and will easily stand on them). Not only were they growing big, but they were also growing in number – there are now 4 kids and 2 nanny goats in the nursery pen :)
Then had the chore of folding washing and hanging out more washing before trying to ring Maryanne. She wasn't answering her phone, so I called Mona instead to find out how Maryanne was. She had been walking, and each time is getting better. I finished talking to Mona and then realised that I had forgotten to ask about the birds, so after medicating Demon I sent off a txt to Mona, and then started organising my dinner.
Of course half way through getting it ready Mona rang, and I found out what to do with the left over bird food from the morning. I then went over and got the last chore done for the day, before heading back to the guest house to relax.

Desert ride 3
Distance - 10.6km
Time - 1:52:17
Average speed - 5.6kmph
Max speed - 33kmph

No comments:

Post a Comment